Hi friends, Gracie here!
Today I’ll be teaching you how to bake one of the best sweet treats ever — the magic cookie bar! These are one of my Dad’s favorite desserts, so we’ll be making these again once he is back home. Now let’s get baking!
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of butterscotch chips
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/3 cups of shredded coconut
Here in Japan, houses only have an oven about the size of my hand because it is normally used to cook fish. Since we cook a lot in the oven, we decided to buy an extra oven, which is about the size of a microwave. So while our oven is still small and we have to bake in small batches, at least we can fit more than a piece of fish. This is our tiny Japanese oven. It pulls out like a drawer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C
- Melt your butter
- Place butter in 13×9 inch pan and swirl it around to coax the bottom and sides of the pan
- Spread graham crackers evenly on the bottom of the pan and then layer the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, condensed milk, and coconut (in that order)
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes until the edges are golden brown
- Let it cool, cut and enjoy!
TIPS: I recommend not putting the coconut on for the first 15 minutes of baking, then add the coconut and bake for another 10- 15 minutes until the coconut is lightly toasted. Also, my Mom lines her pans with no-stick aluminum foil to make clean-up easier. And in case any of you measure in grams instead of cups, here is a website that shares the conversions. Allrecipes.com is also one of my Mom’s favorite websites to search for dinner recipes.
And now we’re off to take some magic cookie bars to our neighbors.
Thanks for reading. I hope that you enjoy baking and eating the seven-layer (magic) cookie bar. More exciting new posts coming soon!
LOVE, Gracie & Lulu